Sunday, November 29, 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback


Receiving feedback from my peers and tutor might be the best thing that has ever happened so far in my university journey. The amount of feedback that I have received for this module is more than any of the feedback received throughout my education before university. The same goes in terms of sharing my feedback to my peers. I think having two-way communication between our peers and tutor is the most important aspect for any kind of education.

I might not be qualified to give excellent and constructive feedback due to my lack of proficiency and knowledge in the English language, but sometimes, I might be able to spot some mistakes made by my peers. That is why this is very good for learning because everyone look at things differently. Thus, one single essay might have many different kinds of feedback. There is not a single time where I did not make any single mistake when writing an essay. Quoting from Albert Einstein, "A person who has never made a mistake never tried anything new". Being human, I am not perfect but at least, I will try my best not to repeat the same mistake. Therefore, I am very thankful to receive feedback from my tutor and peers.

However, there are times where I will feel that I am not helping my peers well enough by giving them good feedback. Therefore, I feel a little bit bad about not assisting them much on improving their write-up because their evaluation for me has always helped me improved my assignment. I hope in the future, I will improve my ability on giving constructive feedback for my peers so as they can benefit from it.

This is just the beginning of something great. This module will definitely assist me in my future reports and write-ups. I am very thankful that my tutor has gathered all the useful materials in a single "symbaloo" page for us to refer to which will aid us in our writing. I hope that I can still access to the excellent list even after completing this module (cross-fingers).


4 comments:

  1. Hey Raddy,

    I definitely agree on everything you mentioned above. Receiving critical feedback is really the best thing ever in education, at least now we all know how to improve and where we went wrong.
    Also giving positive feedback all the time may not be helping our classmates despite the fact of feeling bad to comment negatively on their posts. But i think by now everyone knows the value and importance of having such feedback because that is the only way they will be able to improve! Who would have thought that all these years we spent in poly not receiving feedback was such a bad thing for us.
    Lastly, i like how all your post are short and straight to the point. The fact that you can mention a lot of stuff in shorter posts is impressive for me.

    Cheers,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey brotherman,

    Honestly, receiving critical feedback is really the best thing ever happened in my education too. Thumps up!
    I feel there is no bad or good feedback. As long the intention is there to help our peers improve, any comments will be beneficial to them. Like you mentioned, i feel the same at times where I will feel that I am not helping my peers well enough by giving them good feedback. Do not worry, with the knowledge obtained from our Effective communication lessons, we will sure put it into practice. Looking forward for more of your comments in the task ahead in our Uni life.

    Cheers,
    Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Radhi,

    The same goes for me for the amount of feedback i have received throughout my entire education.I do agree with you that having a two-way communication/feedback between peers and tutors is the utmost importance of any education.By having this, we would be able to optimize learning to its best potential just like when we gave feedback to Prof Aaron on his tutorial teaching style.Overall, i like that your reflection has many good and useful points which i could easily relate to.

    Best Regards,
    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, Radhi, for this excellent critical reflection on feedback. You actually fulfilled most of the scope of the assignment, discussing what was done, how you felt about that, and the extent to which you might be able to benefit in the future. My only question now is this: Would there be any way to get peer feedback in the future?

    I'm also impressed that you find the symbaloo page useful. if you want to continue to use that, just make sure you have signed up with symbaloo and then save your own version. It's yours, brother!

    That aside, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work this term, and I wish you the very best as you continue your SIT learning journey and the life path beyond!

    ReplyDelete